Alan Haber's Pure Pop Radio is the archive for the premiere website that covered the melodic pop scene with in-depth reviews of new and reissued recordings, and a wide variety of features. We are now closed for new activity.
Don’t worry if you missed our interview with the creator and artist behind the wonderful tributes to Prefab Sprout, Sproutless: Insights from Retrospect and Moveable Feast. You can listen and/or download the interview now by going to the Pure Pop Radio: In Conversation PodOMatic podcast page.
The podcasts now come with handy, dandy Spotify links to the songs originally played during our interviews. So, now you can listen and sing along to the tunes spotlighted! Enjoy!
…Donna Cosper! Congratulations to Donna for winning this latest Pure Pop Radio contest. Donna gets a copy of Sproutless: Insights from Retrospect, signed by the man behind the album and its companion, Moveable Feast, Scott McPherson.
We’ve got lots more cool contests coming up. Watch this site for the latest giveaways, and, as always, thanks for reading, and listening to Pure Pop Radio. We appreciate it!
2014 is going to be a huge year for Pure Pop Radio. We’ve got huge plans for a couple of new shows, the playlist will be growing in huge ways, and, well, just as an overall thing, the station is going to be getting better all the time, to borrow a phrase. And there’s the huge aspect to consider.
It has always been our plan to keep growing the station. We’ve planted seeds along the way, and this year those seeds will be sprouting and shooting up into the sky, through a couple of clouds and beyond. Running Pure Pop Radio is a calling. It’s our passion. And, it’s our privilege. We’re here to spread the word on great, melodic pop music, and that’s what we will continue to do.
Look for a couple of announcements in the days and weeks ahead. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, for your support. We appreciate each and every one of you. You, in fact, pop! And now, on with our show.
It’s no secret that of all of the elements that go into an interview on Pure Pop Radio: In Conversation, my favorite is the human one. As much as I live for spreading the word on great music, I’m even more dedicated to telling the stories behind the songs. What is the songwriter’s history? How did he grow up? How did life treat him along the way? How does all of this help shape his music?
We’ve got a wonderful human story for you beginning next Tuesday, February 4. Lee Jones, from the great Australian band The Solicitors, joins me for the deeply felt story of how he got from the many roadblocks that life has delivered to him to his position as songwriter and singer in a band that is destined, I believe, for the top of the pops. I think you will be riveted as Lee unravels quite a heartfelt tale that negotiates a bumpy road, but winds up in a good place, delivering to the world a happy, talented man with a happy life who can strike up the band and get any place rocking and popping in no time.
Don’t miss this one. Pure Pop Radio: In Conversation with Lee Jones from The Solicitors airs on Pure Pop Radio next Tuesday and Wednesday, February 4 and 5, at 8 pm ET, and on Friday, February 7 at 6 pm ET. See you on the radio for a most commanding tale.
In conjunction with Scott McPherson’s appearance this week on Pure Pop Radio: In Conversation, during which Scott is talking about the two CD’s he’s just released in tribute to the band Prefab Sprout, we’re giving away an autographed copy of Sproutless: Insights from Retrospect.
All you have to do to win is fill out the form below. Be sure to include your name and email address and type the word “Sprout” in the Comments window. Entries must be received by Sunday, February 2 at midnight ET. Only one entry per person, please.
Listen to Scott talk about his Sproutless project tonight and Friday by tuning in to Pure Pop Radio. Air times are tonight at 8 pm ET and Friday at 6 pm ET. Click on the links below.
Something’s coming to Pure Pop Radio, and soon! A new thing to enlighten you and brighten your day. Or is it your night that’s in question here? Hmm…
We’re going to be spilling the beans on our new thingumybob tomorrow, but to while away the hours until then we’re put together another poll that may help you deduce our intent. We know…it’s starting to sound like an NYPD Blue episode in here…
Okay, see if you can choose the correct answer to this question: What has eight legs and has a name that is sorta-kinda a combination of a buzzing thing and the members of Jethro Tull? What are we going on about?
Check back tomorrow for all the details, won’t you?
We’ve gone and done it again: We’ve added 20 more songs by 8 different artists to the Pure Pop Radio playlist. There’s nothing stopping us!
What’s new? Here’s the rundown:
* Andrea Perry – “I’m So Jealous (of Abigail Bellus).” Hot on the heels of her latest album release, the awesome 4, we’ve added Andrea’s latest song to some pretty good company. We love Andrea at Pure Pop Radio; this song is another marvelous example of just how very good she is.
* The Newds – “Go Getter,” “Mr. Happy Sunshine,” and “Chasing Shadows” (from the band’s latest release, Ready). The Newds have knocked it out of the park with some fine, catchy pop songs that really do the trick.
* The Zags – “Tattoo.” This is the brand new single from the group, a wonderful pop confection you’re going to love.
* Toxic Melons – “Change the World,” “More or Less,” “Not in Love,” and “Take Me (Radio Edit).” These are tracks from the band’s upcoming album, Bus Therapy. There’s a kool Kickstarter campaign going on that you might want to get in on. Check it out! You’ll be glad you did!
* Caddy – “Something About Carina.” This is brand new from the band’s forthcoming album, The Better End. Very Teenage Fanclub, and we know you like that sort of thing!
* Marc Platt – “I Dreamed I Saw the Beatles.” Very cool tune from an artist who’s quickly becoming a favorite around these parts. Very Fab, too!
* Markus Holler – “Little Pretender,” “Blind,” “Let Me Run,” “I Don’t Wanna Live Here,” “Ways of Love,” and “Tell Me” (from Markus’s 2002 album, Achin’ for Summer). The head honcho at Sugarbush Records lets his power pop flag fly on this wonderful album, new to Pure Pop Radio. Superb stuff!
* Third of Never – “Green Roses,” “Life Saver,” and “Indian.” Great power pop, co-produced by The Grip Weeds’ Kurt Reil, who also plays several instruments on the album.
Tune in and sample the wonders of these and the more than 4,300 songs now playing in rotation. Dig in now!
Pure Pop Radio: In Conversation’s special Drink a Toast to Innocence: A Tribute to Lite Rock Week ended this past Saturday, capping off six days of talks with Producer Andrew Curry and nine of the artists who contributed tracks to the project. All 10 interviews are now posted on the In Conversation PodOMatic podcast page, ready for you to listen to and download.
In addition to the extensive and in-depth interview with Andrew Curry, you’ll find talks with:
– Linus of Hollywood (“More than I Can Say”)
– Kelly Jones (“I’d Really Love to See You Tonight”)
– Brandon Schott (“Thank You for Being a Friend”)
– Christian Phillips (The Sonic Executive Sessions) (“On and On”)
– Wyatt Funderburk (“Bluer than Blue”)
– Willie Wisely (“So Into You”)
– Michael Carpenter (“We Don’t Talk Anymore”)
– Lannie Flowers (“Dance With Me”)
– Scott Klass (The Davenports) (“Just When I Needed You Most”)
If you already have Drink a Toast to Innocence, your enjoyment of this compilation will be suitably enhanced. If you’re new to the album, you’ll be moved to purchase it and enjoy it along with the rest of us.
Thanks, as always, for listening to Pure Pop Radio: In Conversation!
Liar’s Club member Scott McPherson loves the music of Paddy McAloon and his band Prefab Sprout. So much so that he has paid homage to all things Sprout on two new albums he’s recently released: Sproutless: Insights from Retrospect and Moveable Feast. Scott will be the guest on Pure Pop Radio: In Conversation beginning this coming Tuesday, January 28 at 8 pm ET. The show will repeat on Wednesday, January 29 at 8 pm ET, and on Friday, January 31 at 6 pm ET.
These two wonderful albums, performed by musicians from points both near and far, and sung by Scott and the wonderful Texas-based singer and songwriter, Andrea Perry, will both delight and surprise longstanding Sprout fans. Sounding very much like the Sprouts without actually being them, the musicians deliver the songs, written by Scott and a host of other songsters, in grand fashion. These songs stand on their own as pure pop creations while also tipping their hats and hearts to McAloon’s sterling song craft. Songs like “Charm Offensive,” from Insights fromRetrospect, and “P.S. I Love You,” from Moveable Feast, perhaps typify the sounds that listeners will encounter from the Sproutless collective–lovingly-crafted songs with sumptuous melodies that stick like a hot summer’s day. They will both charm and move you, in the sense that you may well be moved to revisit the Sprouts catalog, recently added to with the real Sprouts’ “Crimson/Red” album. If you’ve never heard the Sprouts before, you may be moved to try them out for the first time.
Honest, true music can both bring you back to a specific time and place–the day you first fell in love, your first day in your new house, the day your child was born–and make new memories that will last a lifetime. Insights from Retrospect and Moveable Feast push both of those buttons for a collective experience that will put a happy smile on your face. Alan Haber will talk with Scott about these classic-sounding, newly-released records and play three songs that demonstrate their power. Prepare to be charmed.
Alan Haber’s interview with Scott McPherson will air Tuesday, January 28 and Wednesday, January 29 at 8 pm ET; and Friday, January 31 at 6 pm ET, on Pure Pop Radio: In Conversation, broadcast on Pure Pop Radio. Click on either of the links below to listen. Enjoy!
Now, it’s as easy as a simple mouse click to listen to Alan Haber’s Pure Pop Radio. Tune in by clicking on either of the StreamLicensing listen links, or click on the Pure Pop Radio logo to listen with external players. Enjoy!